The Secret Science Club

All in one week, I attended a fascinating lecture, at the Secret Science Club in a Brooklyn Pub, by a noble prize winner, and Director of the Sloan-Kettering Caner Center - Dr Harold Varmus. He discussed the fast moving and exciting future of cancer research, and the importance of being a science savvy citizen.

The Healthcare Businesswomen Seminar at Downtown Pfizer, was excellent, on the future of the Electronic Medical Records – Did you know that the UK just spent $16billion, to put a computer on very GPs (PCP)desk, and the US is rushing to catch up. - In order to cut down the 7,000 deaths a year (= 1 plane crash/week), caused by medication errors! I think this maybe my next project. I was sold on the idea, and bought Newt Gingrich's book, Paper Kills - Transforming Health and Healthcare with Information Technology. Yes! at last but I never thought I would agree with Newt! Which one of us has changed?

I also went to the opening of a new Art Gallery with a friend, Slate Gallery, in Williamsburg Brooklyn – showing an exhibition of tote bags! (see the one I purchased, I thought it looked a bit like a slice though a skull!).

Next week, I’m off to a Myeloma Research Investors Summit and to Defend Science - which I strongly recommend that you sign up too!

No comments: